Engineering Good are recruiting a mechanical/product/design engineer to join our team to develop assisted tooth paste dispenser for MINDS Ville Home @ Napiri.
Minds Ville Home is a facility dedicated to the care of adults with severe intellectual disability who are unable to care for themselves independently.
People with severe and profound intellectual disability are often disengaged for a large proportion of time. A typical picture is that they do nothing - sitting, standing, pacing aimlessly about. Siva (Occupational Therapist) expressed that their clients had difficulties learning (unable to follow instructions requiring 3 steps or more), thus have a serious impact on their ability to take care of themselves. Example- dispensing tooth paste on their own.
The objective of this project is to design and build a functional assisted tooth paste dispenser that is easy to use. Through this project, volunteers can help enable people with intellectual disabilities to participate successfully in meaningful activity, such as dispensing tooth paste, so as to gain more control over their lives and gain more independence.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Meet with MINDS to understand their needs, ideate on solutions, set goals and work towards these milestones
- Work alongside 4 fellow volunteer engineers, either in collaboration or on parallel workstreams and reporting to team leader
- Produce project deliverables that are safe, of good quality and applicable to the end users’ needs
This project runs from July 2017 to December 2017.
During the project period, team members are expected to take a minimum of 2-3 full days of leave. One day is required to attend trainings (only during office hours) to use the tools and workspaces provided in conjunction with iMDA. The other days of leave may be required to supervise the vendor during fabrication and team members are also expected to be present at MINDS (only during office hours) estimated 2 – 3 times, each time for about 1.5 hrs. This is required to observe the residence and test the prototype.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Trained in mechanical, electrical or design/product engineering/ Software/circuit design
- Has experience in product design (3D drawing) and manufacturing, especially mechanical devices controlled/operated by software/microcontrollers
- Has experience working with vendors for hardware fabrication purpose (Prototype construction)
- Good teamwork and communication skills
If you are interested in the above position, apply here.