Engineering Good are recruiting a mechanical/product/design engineer to join the team to develop mobility solutions with Hari!
Hari is a young adult with Cerebral Palsy, and he came to us for help with developing mobility solutions for him to move around independently. There are possibly two objectives for this project, depending on how many people we would be able to recruit:
Problem statement 1
To help Hari tackle daily challenges like carrying items while walking, or reaching out to objects while upright, Hari has requested an automated solution that can replace use of his crutches; supporting him by the hips instead of his arms thereby enabling him to use his arms freely while moving.
Problem statement 2
Hari’s crutches can be a burden and a hassle to store temporarily when he is not using them, and current solutions such as leaving them on the ground, or leaning them against objects can be dangerous both to himself and to others. Hari has therefore requested a solution that can allow him to leave his crutches standing at any location while temporarily not in use.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Meet with Hari to understand his needs, work with him and the rest of the team to ideate on solutions, set goals and work towards these milestones
- Including Hari, work alongside five fellow volunteers (designers and engineers), either in collaboration or on parallel workstreams and reporting to the team manager
- Produce project deliverables that are safe, of good quality and applicable to Hari’s needs and requirements
This project runs from July 2017 to December 2017.
During the project period, team members are expected to take a minimum of 2-3 full days of leave. One day is required to attend trainings (only during office hours) to use the tools and workspaces provided in conjunction with iMDA. The other days of leave may be required as and when supervision of vendor fabrication might be required.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Trained in mechanical, electrical or design/product engineering
- Has experience in product design and manufacturing, especially mechanical devices controlled/operated by software/microcontrollers
- Has experience working with vendors for fabrication purpose
- Knowledge of Arduino and/or C programming preferred
- Knowledge and experience with engineering of various personal mobility platforms (e.g. standing scooters, hoverboards, elderly scooters) preferred
If you are interested in the above position, apply here.